Focus of the Day: God's Provision

  • Focus of the Day: God's Provision

Monday, January 3, 2011

January 3

Psalm 123: 1-2
Unto You I lift up my eyes, O You who dwell in the heavens.  Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters, as the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the LORD our God, until He has mercy on us. (NKJV)

Psalm 123:1-2
I lift up my eyes to You, O God, enthroned in heaven.  We look to the LORD our God for His mercy, just as servants keep their eyes on their master, as a slave girl watches her mistress for the slightest signal.  (NLT)


God reminded me of some things I had read in the book "The Pursuit of God" by A.W. Tozer.  The words below describe one idea I have never forgotten from reading the book years ago.  I won't even try to put it in my own words.  I highly recommend going and getting the book.  Now.  Go.
The following quote is pieced together from his writing found on pgs. 83-85.  I'm hoping I'm not breaking all copyright laws (maybe none at all?), but Tozer says what I want to say a whole lot better than me, so here goes.
"Faith is the gaze of the soul upon a saving God.  Indeed, Jesus taught that He wrought His works by always keeping His inward eyes upon His Father.  His power lay in His continuous look at God (John 5:19-21).  Believing, then, is directing the heart's attention to Jesus.  It is lifting the mind to 'Behold the Lamb of God' (John 1:29), and never ceasing that beholding for the rest of our lives.  Faith is the least self-regarding of the virtues.  Like the eye which sees everything in front of it and never sees itself, faith is occupied with the Object upon which it rests and pays no attention to itself at all.  While we are looking at God we do not see ourselves--blessed riddance.  Faith looks out instead of in and the whole life falls into line."

Amen.
Keep your eyes focused on God today so that, truly, self may fall away.  Blessed riddance.

No comments:

Post a Comment